Wednesday 19 March 2014

Ten Most Anticipated Movies of 2014 (5-1)

I figured since it's already March and we're finally getting through the dog shit of the movie calender (minus movies like The Lego Movie, which are awesome), it's time to look ahead to what the rest of the year holds. I'm excited for a lot of movies this year, whether it's from directors I love, or actors or because I'm an emotionally crippled man who finds solace in the make believe of handsome people.

You'll notice my omission of movies like Enemy and The Grand Budapest Hotel. This is probably puzzling because if you know me, you know I can't wait to see them. However, they are both out in theatres now, so I'll see them shortly, so I figured I'd leave them off. Click right over HERE to see my picks for #10-6. Time for the top five.

5. A Most Violent Year

Oscar Isaac in A Most Violent Year

In all honesty, I know very little about this movie beside the people involved. And that's good enough for me. IMDb tells me that it's about an immigrant in 1981 New York City (apparently one of the most statistically violent years recorded) and his attempts to build his business despite corruption, violence and social decay. That sounds pretty fucking awesome, and being written and directed by JC Chandor, who has directed the criminally overlooked All Is Lost and Margin Call, this is instantly something I look at as being an awards contender.

Not to mention the cast involved in this. At the top of the list is Oscar Isaac, who has proven he's a hell of a fine actor with strong performances in Drive and Inside Llewyn Davis. He's going to be a household name sooner or later, and if he keeps finding challenging work, then it will be sooner. Just to give you an idea of how meaty this role is, Javier Bardem was originally slated to star. Joining him are Jessica Chastain, David Oyelowo and his Drive co-star Albert Brooks. No trailer to speak of yet.

Release Date: November 12


4. Foxcatcher

Steve Carell and Channing Tatum in Foxcatcher

This movie looks so awesome. It's being directed by Bennett Miller, who is apparently just fantastic at directing true stories, the director of Capote and Moneyball. The story behind the movie is almost too odd to be true, but about a rich schizophrenic millionaire who opens an Olympic training facility called The Foxcatcher, and allows two brothers to train there. Things take a turn for the worse when paranoia sets in and egos and personalities clash.

I'm curious about seeing Steve Carell in this movie, because it is a purely dramatic role, and pictures and early leaked trailers of the film show off a complete physical transformation, and has a constant air of dread in his performance, which is coming across as something we've never seen from him. He's joined by an equally committed Mark Ruffalo, Channing Tatum (who I think is a far better actor than given credit for), Vanessa Redgrave, Sienna Miller and Anthony Michael Hall. It was a bit ominous that the film was slated to come out prime Oscar season last year, only to get pushed to 2014 at the last minute. Still, everything surrounding this movie has me eagerly waiting to see it.

Release Date: TBA 2014



3. Godzilla

Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug as Godzilla

Honestly, I wasn't really all that excited for this movie even a few months ago. I probably would have seen it, but hadn't thought I NEEDED to see it. Then the trailers started coming out, and nerds everywhere collectively showed their boners. I honestly don't care if it's the best movie around, it looks so cool. It's also being directed by Gareth Edwards, who directed Monsters, and he's shown he understands how to create a character based movie that also involves monsters. And the sense of dread he is able to create can be cut with a knife. Plus, Godzilla looks like he's ready to fuck shit up. And not be a mom or whatever that Matthew Broderick turd wanted to do. Seriously, that movie was awful.

Speaking of which, can we look at the cast in this? Okay, you've got your charismatic young lead in Aaron Taylor-Johnson, but then you put Bryan "I am the danger" Cranston in this too? Seriously, Cranston has proven, with Breaking Bad, that he can act the hell out of any script. Add to that you've Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olson, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn and Sally Hawkins and you've got me hooked. And once again, Godzilla just looks super cool in this.

Release Date: May 16



2. Gone Girl

Batfleck in Gone Girl

Okay, so let's take a really well written smart novel in Gone Girl. Now let's take one of the most prolific and unique directors working right now in David Fincher and get him to work with an actor who has made quite the comeback in Ben Affleck and you've got something I want to see. I've read Gone Girl, and while I saw Nick being played by someone like Jake Gyllenhaal or even Casey Affleck, I think Ben will do a good job. And heaven knows I'll see anything with David Fincher's stamp on it. Considering my undying love for Fight Club, along with Se7en, The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I think this kind of material is ripe to be Fincher'd up.

The cast is intriguing to, as the leads are being played by Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike, who are both excellent actors in their own right, especially Pike who has never really gotten the chance to shine. Add to a cast that includes Scoot McNairy, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry (I'm assuming he's not Madea in this, and therefore not the Gone Girl), Patrick Fugit and Kim Dickens, and I'm lining up mentally to see this already. I wonder if there'll be a moment when it turns out Rosamund Pike is Tyler Durden. No trailer for this yet though.

Release Date: October 3


1. Interstellar

Arms and a shuttle in Interstellar

It's honestly baffling to me that Christopher Nolan has never been nominated for a Best Director Oscar. Both The Dark Knight and Inception are movies that I think only he could have pulled off, and he's one of the only directors around who can take a big budget and use it well. He's also ambitious, which is what makes me so excited for Interstellar, because despite the idea of being about space exploration, it still feels very character focused, which is what made Inception the movie it was. And I will fight anyone that says The Dark Knight isn't a masterpiece. I know that has nothing to do with anything, but seriously, I will.

So it's about space travel, done by a brilliant director and let's just take a second to look at this cast. First off, even the supporting cast is filled to the brim with talent. Casey Affleck, Jessica Chastain, Anne Hatheway, John Lithgow, Michael Caine, Wes Bentley, Matt Damon Ellen Burstyn, David Oyelowo and Topher Grace. Then it's being led by my favourite actor right now, Matthew McConaughey. He's fresh off an Oscar win and the triumph that is True Detective, and now he's gonna be in this. I wonder if the space travel is about him trying to catch himself 10 years from now?

Release Date: November 7



So there it is. Now we wait for these movies to come out. Hooray for magic moving picture art. Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment