Saturday 8 August 2015

Watch What I Said 5


IMDb: 7.6/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 85%
My Grade: A

So as part of adding content to this increasingly shitty blog, I've decided to include a weekly segment detailing a movie-a-week that people should check out. I know anyone that reads this blog does so primarily for my reviews, but I'm lazy and don't want to review anything right now. This weekly segment may also contain suggestions from other members of the Public Nerdity Podcast from time to time.

Yes, I'm aware I haven't written one of these in a while. But I'm back now. And I have got quite a fantastic film for you. And as an added treat, I'll post a couple of recommendations. The film I decided to pick this week was one that I firmly believe was robbed of a Best Actor Oscar, featuring one of my favourite performances. This week's pick is A Single Man, directed by fashion designer Tom Ford. The amazing performance, in question, is from Colin Firth, who plays George, a man desperately trying, and failing, to find anything worth living for after the death of his longtime partner Jim (Matthew Goode). As George goes about his day, teaching his university class, while being pursued by a charming young student named Kenny (Nicholas Hoult), and having dinner with his old friend Charlotte (Julianne Moore), we hear his inner turmoil. We see him flashing back to happier times with Jim, and the life they had built together. And we see when he finds out that Jim has died, in a scene that should have won him the Oscar, because it's one of the most heartbreaking scenes you'll see. Also, Jon Hamm is the voice on the other end of the phone. Tom Ford creates a beautiful film, that relies on performance and subtlety to engage you, as well as a gorgeous visual asthetic.

With a score of 7.6 on IMDb, and 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, you should do yourself a favour and check this film out. Currently, it's available on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment