Tuesday 19 May 2015

Watch What I Said 3


IMDb: 7.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 94%
My Grade: A+

So as part of adding content to this increasingly shitty blog, I've decided to include a weekly segment detailing a movie-a-week that people should check out. I know anyone that reads this blog does so primarily for my reviews, but I'm lazy and don't want to review anything right now. This weekly segment may also contain suggestions from other members of the Public Nerdity Podcast from time to time.

So, by now, we know that Ben Affleck has truly capitalized on his career resurgence. He's going to be playing Batman, he's won an Oscar and has gone from a mediocre actor to a Hollywood heavyweight. Some people may say he started this turn around with his role in Hollywoodland, where he played TV's first Superman George Reeves, in which he was fantastic and got a Golden Globe nomination. Personally, I think he really kick started all of this with his feature film directorial debut, and my pick for this week, Gone Baby Gone. With his directorial efforts, most people will have seen Argo or The Town by now, as both films are quite good, but Gone Baby Gone is damn near a masterpiece. It's a tightly wound crime drama, centering around a little girl being kidnapped, and the manhunt to find her. Affleck assembles a phenomenal cast, including his brother Casey, Michelle Monaghan, Morgan Freeman, Titus Welliver, Ed Harris and Amy Ryan, who was nominated for an Oscar for her role here. Casey Affleck shines in this film, giving a performance rivaling anything he's done before. And Ben crafts an expert film, one that I would call one of the best of the decade, and among my favourite films of all time.

With a solid 7.7 on IMDb (which is way too low), and a sparkling 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, Gone Baby Gone is a film you should actively seek out to watch. It's currently available to stream on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment